Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Day

Wow, its just about over. I don't get NFL network, so I've missed every Pro game played today. Oh, well. I did get to spend a good day with my whole family together. Its the first time my side of the family has been together for longer than I can remember! I think there was one Thanksgiving about 4 or 5 years ago. . . but I'd rather forget that one. Lets just say I'm glad God taught me grace, and leave it at that.

Anyway, I hope your Thanksgiving was good, plenty-o-Turkey, and trimmings! We all went around the table and shared something we're thankful for. I was thankful for my job. Yep. Both of 'em. I appreciate the Church, and I'm glad I no longer work for DCI at St. Thomas. Of course I hear that they've lost two since I left, which aught to tell them something, but it wont, and they wont care. You know what? I don't either. :-D. I thank God He saw fit to guide me out of that position and into a better one with less stress.

Wednesday Evening we looked over Colossians 3, and the verse in particular that tells us to let the peace of God rule in our hearts, and be thankful. Thankfulness is an attitude, an action, and an affirmation. An attitude in that, generally speaking a person is thankful. Now, it would be stupid for me to try and look God in the eye and say "God, Thank you for the flat tire on my truck." However, it would be wise of me to look around and say, "God, Thank you for providing so graciously for the tires, and for giving me a job were I can earn the money, and for the physical ability to change the tire, oh, and for not making all four go flat at the same time." You see a person with the attitude of gratitude isn't going to be any more happy about the bad things that happen than anyone else. He is going to see all the things that could be worse about the bad things that happen, and be thankful God is there to help him through.
Thankfulness is an Action. Its more than just saying, "Thank You." Its doing something in return, and out of appreciation to the things done for you. We say thanks by giving a card, saying thank you, cooking a meal, giving a gift, doing a job, or chore. We say thanks by what we do, more than we'll ever say things by what we say. Have you ever seen a kid get the toy he was so longing for, who DIDN'T brag about it? Thankfulness shows itself by the way we act.
Thankfulness is an Affirmation, or a Determination. A determination not to let life get you down. Sometimes we just have to dig in, and say Thank You, even when we have so much to look around and get depressed about. There is so much bad news on TV, that it can really begin to work you over. It can get so bad that even in the face of good things, you see a bad thing. Thankfulness says, "I'm going to live, and live abundantly, live above the strife and depressing news, live on a higher plane." Are you thankful?

Well, Happy Thanksgiving! and may God bless you and yours throughout this Holiday Season!

No comments: