Sunday, November 19, 2006

Bad Laptop no donut

I'm really beginning to renew my serious lack of appreciation for Toshiba. This thing has had power and over heat problems since I got it, I've sent it back to them twice, and now that its out of warranty guess what's returned? yep. My ATI video card is apparently the guilty party, because the problem only seems to happen when I'm doing video intensive stuff. Like playing a 3d game, or watch some video someone sent. I thought it was the battery at one time, so I started taking measures to really baby it. You know like not leaving it plugged in, running on battery until it was just about to die, stuff like that. Then I thought it was the processor, so I throttled it down 12%, and I even turned off Hyperthreading. no joy.
The reason I think its the video card is because if you look under my model (A75-213s) you'll find the video proc fan is really close to the edge on the right side (looking from the top) which is RIGHT were your fingers go when you pick it up. Toshiba guys must NEVER pick up their laptop from the side like I do. So, what has happened is the flimsy screen that protects the fan has bent inward and sometimes I wonder if its bent in just enough to slow the fan down. However, you may be thinking, Oh, he runs Linux, its a Linux problem. WRONG. The sudden power downs happen in Windows as well. I've seen quit a few questions on the Toshiba Linux list about sudden power downs, and some guys have figured out how to stop them. However, this crappy thing I had the ignorance to buy, has an odd ball BIOS, not the Toshiba BIOS, which means I can't seem to get any of the Toshiba fan control utilities to work.
So, I'm stuck with a $1600 piece of semi functional junk. My recommendation? Buy anything but a Toshiba. We had problems with them WAY back when I was working at GENESCO, Inc. They had such weird issues, that you couldn't run some software on them, or they'd go belly up. I thought they had gotten all that straightened out, but no, they hadn't. Anyway, buy a Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, heck I'd settle for an emachine or the Averatec, which still doesn't look like all that bad a deal for me. Some say it has cheap sound, etc. However, I wouldn't have spent as much money, cause I got crappy sound, a CD/DVD 8x burner that wont burn on 8x media, etc. etc. already.

OH, I found the Averatec AV7170-EC1 for around $999.00 on pricewatch.com (not that I can buy one, thanks to truck tires). It has the AMD Turion X2, NVidia Graphics card, 17" screen. You may want to check it out before you spend the dough.

No comments: