Tuesday, April 22, 2008

New Bike

Well, I finally will be able to say I own my own bike. I've ridden before, took a Motorcycle safety class in High School, or Jr. High something like that. Many are accusing me of a mid-life crisis, and other such things . . . whatever. The problem is that gas prices are going through the roof, and I need an alternate vehicle that isn't going to take up lots-o-space in the driveway. This was the best option. I have always wanted a GoldWing, however, at this point they are way too big and just as expensive as a car, and probably don't get any better gas mileage.

So, I went smaller. I found a Kawasaki, Concours 14, that wasn't as expensive or big, but its still too big for me at this point. Very nice bike. They have one you can sit on at the local Motorcycle shop in Dickson. BMW has one, but WOW, the price is up there as well. Then I visited the local shop and the sales guy there recommended a Yamaha FZ1 or FZ6 (the 6 being a 650), both of which I'm sure are good bikes. However, neither come with Hard Case Saddle bags (or Panniers) as options from the Manufacturer. The only options found by the local shop were semi-hard shells that mostly covered up the back seat. So that was out. (Yamaha has a nice Sport Touring bike as well, but its as big as the ConCours14). During my search I saw the Suzuki Bandit 1250S.

SWEET RIDE! The Suzuki has options from the factory for Hard Case saddle Bags, and a top case. In Europe and Canada they sell a GT version that comes with ABS, the bags, and a GPS unit. So, I searched the internet for reviews, tests, comparisons, etc. I couldn't find anything negative about the bike that wasn't easily corrected (the mirrors are a little too close in, and the shield is just a little short for long hauls). It has adjustable front and rear shocks, has good horse power, etc. There is even a test that compared it, and the BMW K1200! Granted the Suzy didn't overcome the Beamer, however it held its own, and was declared a close second compared to the MUCH more expensive bike!

So, I go back to the local shop. I tell him I found what I think is my bike. "Suzuki Bandit 1250" I said. His response was, "Not a fan, don't have one." Nice, I thought, but I want one. Then he said, "Old Technology." Basically he gives me the specs for an '06 model, which I'll agree is old tech, but hey, it works. This all clues me in that he really doesn't want to sell me a Suzuki, and isn't even willing to look one up for me. It also clues me into the fact that he isn't nearly up to date on what's going on in the brands of Bikes he's supposed to be selling. Why? They completely revamped the Bandit in '07. Redesigned the engine to put out more torque at lower RPMs (15 ft lbs at 3600 rpm instead of 6000 rpm), and to meat European and Californian Emissions Standards. Along with doing away with the carb, and putting electronic fuel injection on it. So, I went else ware. I found a blue one (without ABS) at Precision Motorsports in Mt. Juliet, TN, and bought it. The sales guy, Brooks, is fairly knowledgeable but didn't remotely claim to know it all, or even much at all about the Bandit, so he wasn't biased. Yes its forever and a day to Mt. Juliet from my house, but they had want I wanted, and were willing to sell it to me. I pick it up Thursday, and I'm Scheduled for the Motorcycle Safety Course this Friday - Sunday. The Drivers License place doesn't open until Tuesday, and my insurance doesn't kick in until the 1st of May, so I won't be able to drive it until next weekend any way.

Anyway, I have a helmet, Gloves, and Jacket lined out. All I have to worry about now are Pants, and Boots. Yes, I have a Full Faced Helmet, and I plan on being covered when my behind hits the pavement :-D . (Not that I think that will happen soon).

The coolest part is that it wont cost me a fortune to run down to the DataCenter from where our main office is!

I'll post pictures of the actual bike when I get it home.

No comments: