Sunday, November 8, 2009

Upward Flag Football


Michael, my son, has now played two seasons of flag football.  I really like the layout, and mission of the way they do things.  Of course, it's flag football, so, there's no tackling.  This is what the wife likes best.  Michael has already broken his collar bone twice, so needless to say, she's a little concerned.  However, with Upward every player is guaranteed to play, and to play every spot.  Officially they don't keep score, which works well with the idea that its not about winning or losing but how you play the game.  Eventually he will move on to what he calls, "real football", but these first two years gave him a clue anyway.

The games are fun to watch, and get occasionally competitive.   The boys keep score, even though they're really not supposed to.  funny.  I have helped out a few times this year carrying the down marker.  My problem with that is I'm too busy rooting for my son, or watching the game to keep up with it.  As always there are questionable calls but the refs overall do a good job, considering they're not pros by any means. 

Hats off to First Baptist Church in Fairview, TN, for hosting this opportunity.  Now, we have to gear up for the real deal.  I'm just not sure how well Michael will take to being hit.

Oh, well, enough for now,
See ya'

No comments: